The New Zealand tax years starts on the 1st of April and finishes on the 31st of March of the following year. If you are employed in New Zealand for the whole tax year you are able to apply for your tax refund when the tax year ends. If you leave during the middle of the tax year you can apply for your tax refund directly and you’ve got up to 7 years to apply. It takes about 2- 3 months to receive your New Zealand tax refund.
Anyone holding a Working Holiday Visa is qualified to apply for a tax refund. If you’ve been working during your time in New Zealand, you have paid 12.5 – 38% income tax on your earnings.
New Zealand Inland Revenue Department (IRD) open for tax refund application in April every year, in order to request a tax refund before April, you have to complete 2 forms which is IR50 and IR3 (make sure you get the latest form, it follows the year.). If you applying your tax refund in April or after, only IR3 form need to submit.
In order to get tax refund, you can follow one of the ways as following :
- Contact the Inland Revenue Department at least one month before you leave New Zealand. Explain that you’re coming to the end of your Working Holiday Visa and would like a tax refund.
- They will send you the correct forms to fill out and provide you with the instructions.
- You will need to provide back account details or a credit card for your tax to be returned to you.
- Complete IR3 form or plus IR50 form. Click to download IR50 and IR3 (make sure you get the latest form, it follows the year.)
- Proof of your airline ticket which clearly showing your departure date (Photocopy).
- Attach all the Payslip from each job you had in New Zealand or you can just download the IRD statement online.
- Provide bank account details for your tax to be returned to you or the correct postal address where IRD will issue a cheque and post to your homeland.
Inland Revenue Department Info :
Contact number (Within New Zealand) : 0800 227 771
Contact number (Outside New Zealand) : +64 4 978 0779
Opening hours :
8am – 8pm (Monday to Friday)
9am – 1pm (Saturday)
For more information, you can visit www.ird.govt.nz.